Using Technology for learning and Assessing that math learning!

Hey guys,

So today we began our class looking at different ways to integrate technology into our tech classrooms. We discovered that there are now so many games or apps to go along with whatever lesson you want to teach.

I presented today using the money by mathies app. This app can be downloaded for free and can be used for any grade. It is a virtual cash draw that can help to visual money without having actual money in students hands. As they get into older grades they need to learn how to add, subtract, multiply and divide money into higher and higher denominations. You can create your lesson using this such as I created a simple word sheet that asked you to represent certain amounts of money based on loonies, toonies, nickles, dimes, quarters, and bills. I also asked a general question to gauge where students are such as if you have two bills and 5 coins what would you have and how did you come to this. 











Next Ryan had a game called Math Duel. This was a great way to give students that much needed break from doing regular work sheets and giving them something more fun and challenging to integrate. This gets harder as you progress through easy to hard levels and as you progress from addition to subtraction to multiplication to division. Each student gets a partner to duel and for ryan he believed that as you advanced you were trying to see if you are the smartests in the classroom however you keep playing through different rounds to improve your scores if you were unsuccessful.

These are just a few different apps but there are tons out there that are waiting to be discovered as we will find out next week in our last math class together.

When it comes to assessing math we need to take into consideration all the different types of assessment such as looking at assessment as, for and of learning.

Assessment AS learning: students monitor their own learning and get feedback to make changes, adjustments in what they understand. Some examples from page 55 in our text are finishing statements such as: "when I get stuck, I...; I explained my work best when I ...; I checked to see if I was right when I...; I explained my work in a mathematical way when I...; What I understood best was...; I need to find out more about..." These statements help students to assess their own learning and understand where they need to makes changes if need on their own.

Assessment FOR learning: Used to stream line instruction and provide feedback to students to help them enhance their learning. Some examples of these types of assessment are:
1. Observation checklists-->Anecdotal records to see how students are doing during the process
2. I can statements-->getting students comfortable in their own skills
3. My Favourite NO-->learning from mistakes



Assessment OF learning: Using assessment information to make judgments about learning. This is where you would assign a grade or report. It is summative in nature. Some examples would be:
1. Rubrics (examples are found on pg 44, 47, 52 & 54 of the text)
2. Tests/Quizzes (discussed further on pages 49 & 50)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rich Task vs Poor Task: How to make math more interesting!

Math IS for EVERYONE!!!!!!